Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Good Pain

I often say that sometimes I get "good pain" and people look at me strangely. How can pain ever be good?

Well, I believe it can.

Certain things can cause me to have more pain than usual. Like going out in the cold. Like brushing my teeth. Like eating some foods. Obviously those things don't give good pain. Far from it.

Talking causes pain sometimes. Singing causes pain (not just for me!) And laughing causes pain. Those things cause what I call "good pain" Especially the laughing. I call it good pain because I did enjoy the activity at the time, and I knew at the time that I would end up being more painful, but sometimes the pain is just worth it.
Yesterday we went out visiting the family for the first time this year. One of my nieces is staying with my Dad for a couple of weeks with her little girl. This little girl is four and an absolute bundle of fun. She just doesn't stop. I wish I had a tiny bit of her energy. She had us laughing non-stop and we had such a good day. So I laughed non-stop, and yes, I felt the pain a lot then and a lot today, but it was so worth it. Definitely "good pain".

So if someone ever tells they get good pain, please don't look at them strangely. They've possibly discovered that sometimes pain is worth it.




4 comments:

  1. Good ideas to educate people - rather felt that the video should have awful drilling, throbbing, screeching type sound effects - though not quite sure you could achieve that easily. Lots of love Andrina
    XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrina, yes, I should have had some background noise of some sort. I also wouldn't have had a clue how to achieve that. I need to figure things like that out though :)

      Lots of Love,
      Elizabeth

      Delete
  2. Great idea Liz! I went and liked the FB page. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you. The facial pain association is also a great resource. Do you have a twitter account? I do and I am happy to tweet out your page and the video if you would like that.I have a large number of followers who have TN or are caregivers.
    Good luck with it all.

    Gilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gilly,

      Thank you, and yes, that would be brilliant if you could tweet it to your followers.
      TN needs all the awareness it can get.

      Thanks again,
      Liz
      ReplyDelete

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment